Saturday, June 28, 2008

More great finds from my homeland

Algonquin, clean air, poutine...just a few of my favourite things about Canada. Now I can add one more to the list: thesouvenirshop.ca

The brainchild of Motherbrand, a design firm dedicated to preserving Canada's culture, and Toronto's art-haven Gladstone Hotel, Souvenir Shop tackles the oft-tacky world of souvenirs by offering a fresh take on Canadian mementos.

Some of the things on my wishlist (and btw, how cool is the drag-and-purchase feature?!):

Ani+Lumigrane's Maplemap hanging lamp - winner of the Best Collection Award during IDS08 and more importantly, winner of my fluttering heart.

Laura Henneber's Post Pockets - genius transparent postcard sleeve...Chiffon Cupcake might be getting one of these in the mail...

Cynthia Hathaway's Souvenirs Revisited:Bear - what a disarming piece that artfully blends humour, environmental caution, and beauty.

Annie Lum's recycled laptop sleeve - functional nostalgia--I love it.